Love is a Roller Coaster of fun and excitement with a lot of faith and trials thrown into the mix!
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Personal Debate Disposable vs. Cloth Diapers
Lately, I have been doing a lot of research regarding cloth diapers. There are several friends out here that love cloth diapers and have a ton of positives to say about them. I guess the real debate going through my mind is whether or not I will throw up when cleaning the diapers, or will throwing them into a plastic bag and sticking them outside be the better option.
The initial start-up cost when choosing cloth diapers is significant. However, the cost will be averaged out over time when you stop buying diapers and you can reuse and abuse the ones you already have. Disposables cost for every pack you buy. There is a never-ending need for diapers when you have a child who isn't potty-trained.
So... I'm asking myself if it's better to go cloth or is my stomach contents remaining in my stomach better for all of us. You may say its the same as cleaning a dirty disposable diaper, but I tend to disagree. Cleaning a disposable diaper, once it's thrown away you never have to deal with them again. Cloth, you still have to throw in the washer.
Since there is significant evidence of cloth diapers aiding in the potty-training experience, we are considering using cloth diapers when our children turn two.
There is a blog that I have been following that has featured several interviews with cloth diaper designers and mom's who use cloth diapers exclusively. Here is the link: Me Oh My Desserts .
Has anyone who has used disposable diapers exclusively considered or regretted not changing to cloth?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I use both. Cloth when I'm at home, and disposable whenever I'm out and about. Though we do still buy about a pack a week of diapers, I'd like to think using the cloth helps offset the cost of it.
ReplyDeleteYou also have to keep in mind, 97% (99% in some articles) of parents use disposable diapers.
Both have their pros and cons. Yes, disposable may be more expensive (initially) but you also have to factor in the expense of detergent, bleach, electricity, etc., etc., etc. That's assuming your time is worth nothing. I used cloth initially with Kelsey, but quickly changed to disposable, mainly because of the mess and ick factor--and we were using a diaper service. You might look into that, and see how much that would cost. What I did when I started potty training was put them in training pants--the cloth ones. But you're a LONG way from worrying about that now. You're going to want to use some disposable diapers though, when you're out, it's just sooooo much easier than having to haul around a semi-poopy, rinsed out, diaper in your bag. :)
ReplyDelete