Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tornado Chaos!


As many of you know, there was a tornado that hit our little town here in Sedalia. The Southwest corner of the town had lots of devastation. The tornado ripped through the Brentwood subdivision and a trailer park. Phillips gas station on S 65 Hwy had damage to their pumps and multiple semis in their lot.

The Sedalia School District bus barn was also hit. The bus barn was housing 25 of 30 buses at the time and all 25  were destroyed. Due to this unfortunate act of Mother Nature the School District was forced to cancel the last three days of school for the year. 

LTL survived, they were miles away. The tornado was two or four blocks from the house, but we were downstairs and were safe.

Sedalia has a great tornado warning system! After hearing about the devastation in Joplin, MO on Sunday evening, Sedalia got ready for bad weather. There were some early warning sirens at about 11:15 AM. I hadn't been feeling 100% when I woke up so I was in bed until the sirens went off. So... I grabbed Suki and slowly walked down the stairs. There wasn't wind or rain outside so I thought: "No big deal. I'll just do what they want." About 20 minutes later and non-stop news coverage of the possible tornadoes in Kansas City, we lost the cable. Two minutes later the power went out.

About the time the power went out we heard what we thought was hail, for a few seconds. The Tornado sirens stopped at about 12:30PM. Justin called and asked if I was okay. I said: "Yeah, Why wouldn't I be? The power is out, but nothing as happened." To that he responded letting me know that a tornado had just landed and part of Sedalia had been hit. I was shocked! We didn't even hear a thing!

The power remained out until 12:30PM today. The only damage we encountered was a yard filled with shingles, metal sheets from buildings, and several checks and check registers. 25 Mobile homes had been destroyed.

In all of this, only 24 minor injuries were reported and no deaths have been discovered. Thank goodness for a Father in Heaven who is watching out for us!

I survived my first tornado... NO WE'RE NOT MOVING BACK TO UTAH! (All caps for emphasis!)

No comments:

Post a Comment